Pumpkin Walnut Spread
Puréed pumpkin and walnuts balance a hint of spice in this creamy spread. Serve on fresh slices of homemade bread for breakfast or brunch.
- 60 ml (4 Tablespoons) olive oil
- 115 g (1 cup) onion, chopped
- 80 g (⅔ cup) walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 485 g (2 cups) pumpkin
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) water
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 25 g (½ cup) sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted, drained
- Sauté onion in 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet until soft.
- Add the walnuts, garlic, sage and pepper flakes and sauté, stirring gently, for 5 additional minutes.
- Place pumpkin, water, Five Spice Powder, salt, ground black pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, and onion sauté into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 45 seconds or until smooth, using the tamper as needed.
Note: to make your own Five Spice Powder Blend, combine 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon crushed anise seed or ground star anise, 1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seed, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, and the addition of 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.
|Serving Size||2 Tablespoons|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|