Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Honey Pecan Butter
A pat of Honey Pecan Butter brings out the natural sweetness of the squash for a delectable flavor.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, roasted
- 4½ teaspoon butter
- 1 slice bacon, cooked, crumbled
- ½ onion, peeled, diced
- 720 ml (3 cups) chicken broth
- 60 ml (¼ cup) heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1½ Tablespoon pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- ½ Tablespoon honey
- 1 other parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Halve the squash and place it cut side down on an oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until the squash can be easily skewered. Cool 20 minutes. With a spoon, remove seeds and discard. Scrape the pulp and reserve. Discard peel.
- In a soup pot, melt 1½ teaspoons butter over medium heat. Add the bacon and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the squash and stock. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the squash falls apart. Cool 20 minutes.
- Place 1/2 of the mixture into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes. Repeat for the remaining mixture.
- Strain into a clean soup pot and add the cream, orange juice, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat as necessary.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mash together the remaining 3 teaspoons butter, pecans and honey. Roll butter in plastic wrap into a cylindrical shape 1-inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. Refrigerate until it is able to be sliced.
- Serve soup with a pat of butter.
If the soup is too thick, thin with additional water or stock.
|Serving Size||240 (1 cup)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||40 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||41 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|