Thai Pumpkin Soup
This sweet and slightly spicy pumpkin soup makes a satisfying autumn meal or a delicious appetizer to your holiday spread. Garnish with chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, and sour cream.
- 60 g (½ ) small onion, peeled, chopped
- tomato paste
- 300 g (1 ) small pumpkin, or pumpkin puree, peeled, chopped
- 5 g (1 ) fresh ginger root, ¼" slice
- 1 garlic clove
- 360 ml (1½ cup) vegetable broth
- 120 ml (½ cup) coconut milk
- 120 ml (½ cup) coconut cream
- 80 g (¼ ) green chili, seeded
- ¼ lemon, peeled
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat a large sauce pot over medium heat. Once hot, add onions and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes. Add pumpkin, ginger, broth, and coconut milk. Stir to combine ingredients, and bring to a gentle boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes or until pumpkin is tender
- Allow mixture to cool off the heat for 10 to 15 minutes, then carefully place mixture into the Vitamix container; add chilies and lemon, and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 3 minutes, or until heavy steam escapes from vented lid.
Serve garnished with chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, and almond yogurt. For a richer pumpkin flavor, try substituting freshly roasted pumpkin for the puree. Depending on your heat preference, you can add anywhere from a slice to a whole green chili.
|Serving Size||459 g (1 servings)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||50 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|