Smoothies are a great way to ensure that your body gets a healthy variety of fruits and vegetables, and the Vitamix makes them so easy. You can enhance your smoothie with a protein boost at breakfast, after a workout, or as a mid-afternoon snack.
The Triple Berry Smoothie makes a delicious breakfast, and keeps you energized with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and low-fat yogurt.
Cooling down after a workout? Reach for a high-protein-greens smoothie like the Emerald Smoothie with fresh, leafy spinach to build and repair muscle tissue.
The Tropical Cooler with tofu makes a light lunch or portable snack.
Try these tips for boosting protein in your smoothie recipes:
- Add a handful of nuts or a couple tablespoons of flax or chia seeds to your smoothie. Not only do they provide protein, but are great sources of healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Great for post workout muscle soreness. Just remember that nuts and seeds should be the last ingredients placed in the Vitamix container, on top of your other ingredients.
- There are many types of protein powders available, whey, egg white, soy, rice. Whichever protein source you select, use an unflavored version to avoid any unnecessary sugars or artificial flavors.
- Vegan protein powders are really on the rise. Try hemp powder to your smoothie. It has a nutty flavor, is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and delivers 15 g of highly absorbable protein.
- Use Greek yogurt over regular yogurt. It makes for a thicker smoothie and has 20g of protein per cup. Choose plain over flavored to reduce the amount of added sugar.
- Add a couple tablespoons of homemade nut butter. Be sure not to use any added oils or sugar.
When crafting a post workout smoothie, keep in mind a few things. Your muscles need a combination of protein and carbohydrate to replenish their glycogen stores and recover.
- Choosing naturally sweet fruit (bananas, mango, sweet cherries, grapes) that have a higher glycemic index is preferred over juices or powders.
- Add at least 15g of protein to your smoothie and drink within 30 minutes of your workout to optimize post exercise calorie burn.
- Always include a couple large handfuls of green leafy vegetables to your smoothie for an antioxidant boost.
- Lastly, include a source of healthy fat high in omega 3s to enhance muscle recovery and enhance absorption of the fat soluble vitamins in the greens.