Apple and Ancient Grain Porridge
Oatmeal style grains are cooked to bring a nice twist to classic morning oatmeal. Cook ahead and simply reheat for a quick breakfast.
- 100 g (½ cup) millet
- 100 g (½ cup) amaranth
- 100 g (½ cup) pearl barley
- 100 g (½ cup) farro
- 300 g (2 ) medium honeycrisp apples, cored, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.4 l (6 cups) water, divided use
- 240 ml (1 cup) oat milk
- Place the grains in a medium bowl and wash thoroughly. Drain and set aside.
- Place cut apples, cinnamon, vanilla, and 2 cups (480ml) of water into the Vitamix Immersion Blending Jar or a similar 1 quart glass jar.
- Submerge the immersion blender below the surface of the liquid, or as close to the
- ingredients as possible. Start the blender on its lowest speed, then slowly increase to its
- highest speed. Blend for 60 seconds.
- Pour the washed grains and blended apple mixture into a 4-6 quart saucepot and set over
- medium heat on the stovetop. Stir to combine and cook for 60-75 minutes until grains are
- well cooked, adding additional water as needed during the cooking process. Remove from
- heat and let stand, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Did you know that grains are an excellent source of protein? Just one serving of this porridge provides 9 grams!
- Any mixture of grains will work for this recipe - try it with whatever you have on hand, but note that cooking times may be different. Top with roasted fruit, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup, or any accompaniment you like.
|Serving Size||399 g (1 serving)|
|Amount Per Servings|