Chilled Cucumber Soup with Shrimp & Dill
A refreshing, chilled soup infused with a bold shrimp flavor. Pairs well with your favorite seafood dish.
- 960 ml (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 340 g (¾ pound) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 60 g (½ ) small onion, peeled, halved
- 90 g (¾ cup) celery
- 6 cucumbers, peeled, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1½ teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- 360 g (1½ cup) sour cream
- 120 ml (½ cup) heavy cream
- 20 g (½ cup) fresh dill leaves, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 65 g (½ cup) cucumber, diced, for garnish
- fresh dill leaves, for garnish
- Heat the broth in a large stockpot until simmering. Add the shrimp and cook for 2–3 minutes, or just until they turn opaque. Remove the shrimp from the broth, cut in half lengthwise, refrigerate, and reserve for garnish. Reserve the broth.
- Heat the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent, 5–7 minutes. Add the reserved broth and the cucumbers. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat so that the soup simmers gently. Simmer until the cucumbers are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup pot from the heat and let it cool slightly. Add some of the soup to the Vitamix container, making sure not to overfill. Secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 1 minute. Add puréed soup to a clean pot. Repeat process until all the soup is puréed.
- Return the soup to medium heat and bring to a simmer. Stir in dissolved cornstarch and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Chill soup at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Combine the sour cream, heavy cream, dill, lemon juice, and Tabasco sauce in a small bowl and stir until evenly blended.
- Whisk the sour cream mixture into the chilled soup. Taste and adjust the seasoning with the remaining salt and pepper. Add additional lemon juice or Tabasco sauce if desired.
- Serve the soup in chilled cups garnished with the reserved shrimp and diced cucumbers. Top with a dill sprig.
Try using the same broth to cook the shrimp and make the soup for additional flavor.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|