Pan de Muerto
This bread is traditionally made for the Day of the Dead, November 2nd, where the Mexican people honor their ancestors. This bread is so good you will want to make it on many more occasions than just one.
- 60 g (¼ cup) melted butter
- 60 (¼ cup) warm milk
- 60 ml (¼ cup) warm water
- 1¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 375 g (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- 50 g (¼ cup) sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, warm milk, warm water, and yeast. Allow to bloom for 5-8 minutes or until frothy.
- In the Vitamix container, combine eggs, yeast mixture, anise seed, orange zest, salt and sugar together. Secure the lid.
- Select variable 1 and start the machine. Quickly speed up to variable 6 and blend for 30 seconds. Stop the machine.
- Select variable 6 and remove the lid plug. Begin to pulse and add ½ cup (60g) of flour through the lid plug opening.
- Continue to pulse while adding all of the flour, ½ cup (60g) at a time.
- Once all the flour is added, pulse until a dough ball forms and pulls away from the sides of the container. Remove dough to a floured work surface and knead for 2-3 minutes, until elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Place in the warmest part of your kitchen and allow to rise for 1 to 1½ hours, or until doubled in size.
- Shape into individual rolls 4 large and decorate with dough as desired.
- Place the rolls on a lined sheet tray, and bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 35 minutes.
- 50 g (¼ cup) sugar
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 60 ml (¼ cup) orange juice
- While rolls are baking, combine the remaining sugar, zest and orange juice together in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes to create the glaze.
- About halfway through the cooking time, remove the rolls from the oven and brush with half of the glaze. Rotate the tray and place back in the oven to cook the remainder of the time.
- Once the rolls are finished cooking, brush with the remaining glaze and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
|Serving Size||½ large roll|
|Amount Per Servings|