Rosca de Reyes
This traditional Mexican bread is prepared to celebrate Día de Reyes and served with hot cocoa on January 6th. Share a homemade version with your family!
- 1 active dry yeast
- 60 ml (¼ cup) warm water
- 45 g (¼ cup)
- 45 g (¼ cup) candied lemon peel
- 45 g (¼ cup) dried figs, diced
- 35 g (¼ cup) dried cherries
- 2 Tablespoons light rum
- 60 ml (¼ cup) milk, or Milk alternative
- 150 g (½ cup) melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 g (1 teaspoon) salt, optional
- 540 g (3½ cup) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 4 large pasteurized eggs
- 50 g (¼ cup) granulated sugar, or Date Syrup to taste
- First, soak the fruits in the rum for 20-30 minutes. Next, in a small bowl combine the warm water and yeast. Let this bloom for 5-10 minutes, or until it becomes frothy.
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.In the Vitamix container, combine the yeast mixture with 3 of the eggs, and the melted butter. Secure the lid.
- Select variable 1 and start the machine. Blend for 30 seconds to combine these ingredients. Stop the machine and remove the lid plug.
- Add ½ cup (60 g) of the flour mixture in through the lid plug and select variable 6. Begin pulsing, and continue to add the flour to the lid plug opening, ¼ cup (30 g) at a time, while pulsing continuously.
- Once ½ of the flour mixture has been added, stop pulsing and remove the lid. Scrape the dough from the sides of the container, and under the blades. Add the soaked fruit and rum, then secure the lid again.
- Select variable 6, and pulse 3-4 times until the fruit is combined. Continue to add the remaining flour, ¼ cup (30 g) at a time while pulsing, until all of the flour is incorporated, and a dough ball is formed.
- Remove the dough from the container to a floured work surface, and knead for 3-4 minutes, until the dough is elastic and shiny. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Keep the dough in the warmest part of your kitchen to rise, at least an hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Remove the dough from the bowl once the dough has risen, and roll into a long rope (about 3 feet/ 915mm in length.) Bring the ends together to make a circle, and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Whisk together the remaining egg with 1 teaspoon of water, and brush onto the dough.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow to rest 10-15 minutes before eating.
|Serving Size||1 slice|
|Amount Per Servings|