Your favorite flavor of jelly or frosting is the proverbial cherry on top of this well-known holiday cookie.
- 120 g (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 large egg, separated
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 110 g (½ cup) light butter spread
- 55 g (¼ cup) brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 85 g (¾ cup) chopped nuts
- Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- Place egg yolk, vanilla, margarine, brown sugar and water into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 6.
- Blend for 10 seconds.
- Add the mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir together.
- Using a #40 scoop, roll the dough into balls. Beat the large egg white with a fork. Dip balls in the large egg white and roll in the nuts.
- Place balls about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on ungreased baking sheet; press thumb gently in the center of each.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until set. Cool and fill thumbprints with jelly or icing.
|Serving Size||1 cookie|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|