Roasted Squash Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
Enjoy the warm flavors of fall with this hearty squash soup, topped with crunchy chickpeas and fresh herbs
- ⅔ Tablespoon (605.33 g) large butternut squash, peeled, cut into large chunks
- ⅔ Tablespoon (73.33 g) medium yellow onion, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 2 Tablespoon garlic, peeled
- ⅔ Tablespoon ground cumin
- ⅔ Tablespoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup (56.67 g) raw cashews
- 2¾ cup (640 ml) vegetable broth
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) water
- kosher Tablespoon optional, to taste
- ground Tablespoon pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C.)
- Place cut up butternut squash cubes in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the pre-heated oven, roasting for 40 minutes or until browned and fork tender.
- Heat one tablespoon of avocado oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft and translucent, stirring often. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute until fragrant. Add spices and cook for an additional minute.
- Place all ingredients (roasted squash, onion mixture, cashews, vegetable broth, and water) in a pot. Submerge the immersion blender below the surface of the liquid, or as close to the ingredients as possible.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, and increase to its highest speed. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 1 minute or until desired consistency is achieved.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C) and make sure you have a rack in the center. Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas. Lay them out on a plate lined with paper towels and gently pat them dry.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl, add the avocado oil and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with the smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper to stir coat evenly. Pour onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread evenly. Place in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Ladle soup into soup bowls and top with the crispy chickpeas, and freshly topped chives or green onions if desired.