What distinguishes Italian biscotti from other cookies and biscuits is their twice-baked crispness. This version uses a savory mixture of Parmesan cheese, pistachios, and almonds.
- ⅓ cup (50 g) pistachios, toasted, shelled, salted
- ⅓ cup (50 g) almonds, toasted, salted
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) milk
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup (40 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (310 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- eggwash of 1 large egg
- Put the pistachios and almonds into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Start the machine and increase to Variable 5 -6. Blend for 10 - 15 seconds until nuts are ground. Place in a medium to large bowl and set aside.
- Put eggs, milk, oil and parmesan cheese in the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Start the machine and increase speed to Variable 7 for 10 seconds. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt through the lid plug. Select Variable 5, Pulse 10 times stopping to scrape the sides.
- When dough is mostly incorporated, place the dough in the bowl with the ground nuts and knead in the bowl to incorporate.Form the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Divide the dough into three equal pieces. Form each piece into a baguette shape approximately 3 cm x 30 cm.Transfer formed dough to a parchment lined baking tray. Brush with beaten egg yolk and bake at 350° Fahrenheit (180° Celsius) for 30 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes and slice into pieces. Return to oven for 10 - 15 minutes.