When skies are dark and rainy, we can dream of summer and use the Vitamix blender to make delicious smoothies that increase our Vitamin D intake until the sun shines on us again. Vitamin D occurs naturally in only a few foods, like fatty fish, but we can whip up smoothies with vitamin D-fortified foods like dairy milk.
Certain other foods – soy milk, soy yogurt and tofu, non-dairy milks like almond milk, and orange juice may also be fortified. Just check the label for Vitamin D when you buy. And feel free to change things up; in any smoothie recipe, you can replace Soy Milk with dairy milk or a vitamin D-enriched, non-dairy milk like Almond Milk.
Try These 6 Smoothie Recipes to Boost Your Vitamin D:
- Emerald Smoothie- Spinach and celery given this smoothie its rich green color while pineapple adds sweetness and yogurt or soy milk adds Vitamin D.
- Everything Smoothie- Soy milk makes a delicious, creamy base for this smoothie that blends five fruits and four vegetables.
- Basic Fruit Smoothie- Soy milk, banana, and pineapple combine in this basic smoothie recipe to pack flavor that’s anything but basic.
- Mango Smoothie- Mango and orange take vanilla yogurt to new heights.
- Tropical Cooler- Lite tofu lends nutrients and creamy smoothness to orange and bananas.
Power-Packed Smoothie Recipes
When cold weather sets in, it’s time to focus on smoothies that are brimming with antioxidants.
10 Foods for Winter Blues
Fight off those winter blues with some foods said to enhance mood.