Choosing fruits and veggies that are high in antioxidants is as easy as A, B, C: Antioxidants = Bright Colors. Think sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and beets, cooked for the best blending, as well as berries: cranberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Bright green spinach, yellow mangoes, red peppers, purple grapes – let your eyes be your guide as you shop the produce and frozen food aisles.
Nuts, flaxseed, and chia seeds are high in antioxidants, but also in fats; so add them in smaller amounts: a handful of nuts, a tablespoon of seeds. They should be added to the Vitamix container on top of all your other ingredients for optimal blending.
Try these 9 smoothie recipes, packed with antioxidants:
- Triple Berry Smoothie - Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries blend with low-fat vanilla yogurt to create this sweet smoothie with a beautiful lavender hue.
- All Green Smoothie - It’s so easy going green with this sweet and delicious combination of fruits, veggies, and leafy greens.
- Banana Blueberry Orange Smoothie - Kids love the delightful purplish color of this refreshing snack! Just add ice to turn it into a delicious sorbet.
- Berry Delicious Smoothie - Strawberries, blueberries and cranberries give this smoothie a bright lavender color, while banana and pineapple round out the flavor.
- Glowing Green Smoothie - Kim Snyder's Glowing Green Smoothie filled with healthy greens like lettuce and spinach, and sweetened with apples and pears, is a great way to start your day.
- Banana Raspberry Green Smoothie - Almond milk and bananas make this smoothie creamy without the need for dairy. Blend for the perfect breakfast treat.
- Beet, Strawberry, Cranberry Smoothie - With its bright red color and sweet cranberry/strawberry flavor, this smoothie makes it easy to fit the long-neglected beet into your menu.
- Strawberry Fig Smoothie - Granola makes this smoothie extra filling. Blend in the morning for a great start to your day.