Pork Liver Pate
This pork liver pate offers a layered flavor experience, with sweet balsamic vinegar, savory caramel iced shallots, and pork liver whipped into a velvety-smooth texture.
Machine: Vita-Prep 3
Container: 64oz tall
Preparation: 2 hours
Processing: 1 min 30 seconds
Yield: 8 cups
- 4 pieces thick cut bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 shallots, chopped
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 cup sweet balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon homemade Chinese five-spice
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 lb. 5 ounce pork liver (soaked in milk overnight)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup clarified butter
- 1 large loaf Brioche bread, to serve
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until ¾ done.
- Add shallots and cook until caramelized.
- Add brown sugar, sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, five-spice, and nutmeg to the pan and stir well.
- Reduce mixture by two-thirds until almost a syrupy consistency. Cool.
- Place cream, pork livers, and cooked mixture into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start machine and increase speed to Variable 10. Blend for 1 minute.
- Reduce speed to Variable 8 and remove lid plug.
- Carefully add the eggs, one at a time, then the butter through the lid plug opening. Secure lid plug.
- Increase speed to Variable 10 and blend an additional 15 seconds.
- Divide mixture between two heat-safe bowls and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place into steamer for 1 hour. Remove and cool completely.
- Serve with bread.