It isn’t a holiday gathering without the ever-popular shortbread cookie—an easy-to-make recipe using your Vitamix.
- 110 g (½ cup) butter, softened
- Tablespoon (1 large) egg
- 100 g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 60 g (½ cup) all-purpose flour
- 60 g (½ cup) whole wheat flour
- Heat the oven to 375°F (190° C).
- Place butter, egg, and sugar into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase to the highest speed.
- Blend for 15 seconds until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Remove the lid and add the flour to the container.
- Select Variable 6.
- Turn the machine on and off quickly to pulse 12 to 15 times, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Remove the dough from the container, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and cut dough into two pieces. Dust each piece with flour and roll into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick sheets.
- Cut cookies with a 1½-inch (4 cm) cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until cookies are set but not browned.
This recipe is a wet dough and needs to be chilled. Don't be afraid to use a liberal amount of flour when rolling the dough out.