Easy Pumpkin Risotto
This fall favorite uses fresh pumpkin to give this risotto a simple, clean, and delicious flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (150 g) yellow onion, peeled, cut into chunks
- 3 Tablespoon cloves, smashed
- 1½ cup (240 g) fresh pumpkin, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 4 cups (960 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 cups (400 g) Arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (35 g) grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the oil. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, and pumpkin. Sauté for 6 to 8 minutes or until the onions are tender and translucent. Add the vegetable stock and simmer for an additional 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat. Submerge the immersion blender below the surface of the liquid, or as close to the ingredients as possible.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then increase to Variable 2. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 1 minute or until desired consistency is achieved.
- Add rice, salt (optional), and pepper, cooking over medium-low heat and stirring frequently so rice does not stick together. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until rice is cooked through. Add cheese if desired and enjoy.
- Garnish with additional roasted pumpkin or sun-dried tomatoes, if desired.
- What gives pumpkin its stunning orange color? Its called beta-carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant that supports vision and immunity among other things.