Romaine and Apple Salad with Oil-Free Sesame Dressing
Create this delicious dressing without paying for expensive tahini. The power of the Vitamix machine crushes the sesame seeds, releasing the natural oils and helping the flavors complement dishes like our Romaine and Apple Salad.
- For the Dressing:
- ½ cup (120 ml) cold water
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 lime, peeled
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ¾ cup (100 g) sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 bunch fresh parsley leaves
- ½ bunch (20 g) fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the Salad:
- 2 heads (400 g) chopped romaine lettuce
- 4 cups (475 g) shredded cooked chicken
- 2 medium (200 g) apples, cubed
- ¾ cup (100 g) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (175 g) almonds
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
For the Dressing:
- Place all ingredients into an appropriately sized container in the order listed.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed, blending for 1 minute 30 seconds. Refrigerate and hold for assembly with salad.
For the Salad:
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, chicken, and 3/4 cup of the dressing. Toss thoroughly and top with the apples, cranberries, almonds, and additional sesame seeds.
- This homemade, fresh, and nutrient-dense salad gives you a new pop of flavor with each bite.
- Treat this dressing as you would a Caesar salad-style dressing. Add a little bit, mix the ingredients, and add more if desired. This dressing chills well, but loses its green color after a few days due its acidity reacting with the greens, so it is best eaten the day it is made.