Great tamales can be life changing. Tamales are good any time of year, but especially at Christmastime. Substitute shredded chicken or vegetables for the pork to have more variety.
- 16 dried corn husks
- 1 pound (455 g) shredded cooked pork, choose your favorite preparation
- 2½ cup (340 g) masa harina
- 1¾ cup (420 ml) water
- ½ (cup ) lard
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 cups (1.9 l) water, for steaming
- your favorite salsa for serving
- Soak corn husks in hot water until soft and pliable (about 30 minutes.)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together masa harina, salt, and baking powder.
- Next, in the Vitamix container, combine the water and the lard. Select variable 1 and star the machine. Blend for 30 seconds, or until lard has melted into water.
- Stop the machine. Remove the lid plug and add ¼ cup of the masa mixture in. Select variable 4 and begin to pulse. Continue to pulse and add masa mixture until all is combined. Stop the machine.Strain the corn husks and lay out on the work surface. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the masa mixture in the center of each husk, and pat down into a rectangle. Be sure to keep about 1 inch of naked husk around all the edges of the masa.
- Add a tablespoon of the shredded pork to the center of the masa.
- Next fold in the sides of the husks, then fold down the top and bottom, so you have a rectangle. Secure with butchers twine to ensure they will not open in the steamer.
- Heat 8 cups of water in a pan with a steamer insert.
- Once water is steaming place the tamales in, single layer and cover with a lid. Steam for 8-10 minutes or until masa is firm to touch. Serve with your favorite sauce.