Pumpkin Walnut Spread
Puréed pumpkin and walnuts balance a hint of spice in this creamy spread. Serve on fresh slices of homemade bread for breakfast or brunch.
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (160 g) diced yellow onion
- ⅔ cup (80 g) walnuts, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 sage sprigs
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (480 g) pumpkin purée
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) water
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, optional
- ½ cup (30 g) sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted, drained
- Sauté onion in 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil in a medium skillet until soft.
- Add the walnuts, garlic, sage and pepper flakes and sauté, stirring gently, for 5 additional minutes.
- Place pumpkin purée, water, Five Spice Powder, salt, optional, ground black pepper, sun dried tomatoes, and onion sauté into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start the machine on and slowly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 45 seconds or until smooth, using the tamper as needed.
To make your own Five Spice Powder Blend, combine 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon crushed anise seed or ground star anise, 1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seed, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, and the addition of 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.