Pumpkin Walnut Spread
Puréed pumpkin and walnuts balance a hint of spice in this creamy spread. Serve on fresh slices of homemade bread for breakfast or brunch.
- 60 ml (4 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 160 g (1 cup) diced yellow onion
- 80 g (⅔ cup) walnuts, chopped
- Tablespoon (2 ) cloves garlic, peeled
- Tablespoon (4 ) sage sprigs
- Tablespoon (¼ teaspoon) red pepper flakes
- 480 g (2 cups) pumpkin purée
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) water
- Tablespoon (½ teaspoon) Chinese five-spice powder
- Tablespoon (¾ teaspoon) salt, optional
- Tablespoon (¼ teaspoon) ground black pepper, optional
- 30 g (½ cup) sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted, drained
- Sauté onion in 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil in a medium skillet until soft.
- Add the walnuts, garlic, sage and pepper flakes and sauté, stirring gently, for 5 additional minutes.
- Place pumpkin purée, water, Five Spice Powder, salt, optional, ground black pepper, sun dried tomatoes, and onion sauté into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start the machine on and slowly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 45 seconds or until smooth, using the tamper as needed.
To make your own Five Spice Powder Blend, combine 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon crushed anise seed or ground star anise, 1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seed, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, and the addition of 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.