Cabbage Salad with Currants, Spiced Pumpkin Seeds and Apple Cashew Vinaigrette
A delightful assortment of texture and a great use of autumn’s freshest ingredients.
For the Salad
- 230 g (2 cups) green cabbage, shredded
- 115 g (1 cup) red cabbage, shredded
- 115 g (1 cup) savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 red capsicum, stemmed, seeded, julienned
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- 35 g (¼ cup) dried currants
- 30 g (2 Tablespoons) spiced pumpkin seeds, see note
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 apple, seeded, cored, grated
- 15 g (¼ cup) fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Mix all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 40 g (⅓ cup) cashews
- 1 Tablespoon dried currants
- 20 g (2 Tablespoons) unhulled sesame seeds
- 1 apple, seeded, cored, quartered
- Place all salad dressing ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth and creamy.
- Toss with salad. Let marinate overnight in the refrigerator for a softer and more flavorful dish.
To make roasted, spiced pumpkin seeds, combine 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds, 3 Tablespoons cashew butter, 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon tomato sauce, and a pinch each: chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and cumin. Bake for 5 hours at 105 degrees F. Save extra roasted spiced pumpkin seeds for another use.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|