Never have a lumpy mashed potato again! Be sure to use russet potatoes only, as other potatoes have higher starch content and may get gummy.
- 820 g (2 pounds) russet potatoes, whole skin on
- 150 g (⅔ cup) unsalted butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk
- 10 g + 30 g (2 teaspoons + ¼ cup) Maldon salt, divided
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add 30g (¼ cup) of salt, and place over medium heat. Simmer until fork tender, about an hour and 15 minutes (do not boil, or the potatoes will fall apart and get water logged.)
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine butter, milk and remaining salt in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the butter is completely melted, then set aside.
- Once potatoes are fork tender, strain and peel using a dry kitchen towel or a paring knife. Break the potatoes into small pieces, about 2.5cm (1 inch).
- In the Vitamix container, add the milk mixture first followed by the potatoes. Secure the lid.
- Select Variable 3 and begin to pulse. Remove the lid plug and insert the tamper, using it to push ingredients down into the blades. Pulse 18-20 times, or until the mixture is smooth (be careful not to over mix, or the potatoes will get gummy and starchy.)
- Serve warm.
|Serving Size||120 ml (½ cup)|
|Amount Per Servings|