Broken Rice Congee
This version of the traditional dish, similar to rice porridge, is made with Chinese sausage and finished with fresh herbs. Fresh
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon mint leaves
- 1 Thai Chili
- 1 Tablespoon green onions, diced
- Once the congee is cooked, top with the remaining ingredients per one-cup serving.
- Add long grain rice to the Vitamix® container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine, and increase to Variable 5. Blend for 25 to 35 seconds or until rice looks broken (not finely ground).
- In a large, wide pot, over medium heat, add the sesame oil and the broken rice. Stir gently, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the rice is evenly toasted.
- Add the ginger and diced sausage and sauté for an additional 2 to 3 minutes to release their flavors. Next, add the chicken stock, bring to a simmer, and lower the heat to medium low.
- Cover the pot, and allow the rice mixture to cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. The rice will be slightly overcooked, and the broth will thicken from the starchin the rice.