Pistachio Date Quinoa Salad
A salad as diverse as it is delicious. Serve warm for best flavor.
- 85 g (½ cup) quinoa, uncooked
- Tablespoon (1/2 teaspoons) cumin seeds
- Tablespoon (½ teaspoon) fennel seeds
- Tablespoon (3/4 cup) + 2 Tablespoons / 210ml water
- Tablespoon (¼ teaspoon) salt, optional
- 25 g (12 Tablespoon) small yellow onion, diced
- 12 cups (1 Tablespoon) fresh spinach
- 15 g (1/4 cups) Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 75 g (½ Tablespoon) chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 80 g (½ cup) dates, pitted
- 40 g (¼ cup) pistachio nuts, toasted, shelled
- Pour quinoa into a 2-quart pot and toast over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes until the grains are dry and lightly toasted.
- Add cumin and fennel seed and toast another minute, then add water and salt. Bring to a boil, stir a few times, and cover with a lid.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 to 22 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and grains are tender. Cool for 5 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, combine the onions, spinach, parsley, chickpeas, and dates in a mixing bowl.
- Place the pistachios into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, and slowly increase speed to Variable 4.
- Blend for 5 to 10 seconds to chop the pistachios.
- Add the chopped pistachios to the salad mix in the bowl.
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 1½ Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 pinch of ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, lime zest, coriander and salt into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, and slowly increase speed to Variable 6.
- Blend for 10 seconds.
- Pour over salad in the mixing bowl and toss to coat.
- After the quinoa has cooled slightly, transfer it to the mixing bowl and use tongs to toss the quinoa with the salad mixture.