Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
Cold days call for a soup that showcases seasonal produce. Vegetables such as turnips, carrots, and celery combine with fresh ginger for a warm and filling soup that's full of texture and flavor.
- 180 g (2 ) medium carrots, cut into 1" chunks
- 120 g (1 ) medium turnip, or parsnip, rutabaga, cut into 1" chunks
- 110 g (1 ) small yellow onion, peeled, cut into 1" chunks
- 70 g (1 ) celery stalk, cut into 1" chunks
- 10 g (½ ) jalapeño, stemmed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 g (1 piece) fresh ginger root, ¼" slice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 720 ml (3 cups) vegetable stock
- 120 g (2 ) medium roma tomatoes, halved
- 50 g (3 cups) kale, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 10 g (½ bunch) fresh cilantro leaves, leaves only
- 225 g (1 (16oz.) can) chickpeas, drained, rinsed, divided use
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine carrot, turnip, onion, celery, jalapeno, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and oil together in a medium mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- Spread out evenly on a parchment or foil lined sheet tray and roast for 20-30 minutes. Once vegetables are tender, set aside 1 full cup for later use.
- Add remaining vegetables to the Vitamix container along with the tomatoes, vegetable stock and half the can of chickpeas. Secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 5-6 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from vented lid plug.
- Lower the machine to Variable 3. Remove lid plug. Add kale, cilantro, and the remaining chickpeas and vegetables through lid plug opening. Blend for 20-30 seconds until ingredients are lightly chopped and incorporated.
This soup utilizes your Vitamix in several ways - first for creating a smooth, creamy base for your soup, then to pulse in small chunks of ingredients for little pops of flavor and texture.
|Serving Size||342 g (1 serving)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|