Le Lengua Tacos
Tender beef tongue is marinated in a blend of aromatic spices, then braised to perfection alongside chargrilled peppers, onions, and tomatoes, for a delicious and unexpected taco filling.
Machine: Vita-Prep 3
Container: 64oz tall
Preparation: 5½ –6 hours
Processing: 2 minutes (split timing)
Yield: 8–10 servings
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup ancho chili powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorn
- 1 Tablespoon oregano leaf
- 2 teaspoons coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 piece (about 4 pounds) beef tongue, rinsed and trimmed
- 3 Cubanelle peppers, 6.75 ounces
- 2 sweet onions, peeled, about 1 pound
- 6 Roma tomatoes, about 1 pound
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 32 ounces beef stock, divided use
- ¼ bunch cilantro, with stems
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 16 – 20 white corn tortillas, grilled slightly
- 2 cups queso fresco, crumbled
- Lime wedges, for garnish
For the rub/marinade
- Place ingredients into the 64-ounce container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start machine and slowly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute.
- Rub beef tongue with ⅔ of the mixture and let beef tongue rest in the marinade for 2 to3 hours. Set aside the leftover rub.
- Preheat convection oven to 350° F.
- Place the peppers, onions, and tomatoes in a large bowl and toss with vegetable oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- On a hot grill, char all vegetables on all sides.
- Place marinated and rubbed beef tongue into an oven-safe braising pan.
- Surround tongue with charred vegetables, garlic, and cilantro.
- Add beef stock to a medium size bowl and whisk in the remaining rub to incorporate.
- Pour the whisked mixture over the beef tongue and vegetables.
- Secure tightly with oven-proof lid or wrap tightly with foil and cook for 3½ hours.
- Once tender, remove beef tongue from braising pan and set aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer the leftover stewed vegetables and liquid to the 64-ounce Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start machine and slowly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 1 minute. Adjust the consistency of the sauce with 1 to 2 cups of beef stock, if desired.
- Peel the beef tongue and shred using kitchen forks.
- Toss shredded beef tongue with the pureed sauce.
- Place on a warm white corn tortilla, top with queso fresco and garnish with lime wedge.