Leftover Turkey Tacos with Mole
Spice up your holiday leftovers with this rich, thick, creamy, and smooth mole sauce—all done right in your Vitamix!
- 1 ounce (25 g) pasilla chillies
- 4.5 ounces (125 g) ancho chilies
- 1.75 ounces (50 g) guajillo peppers
- ⅓ cup (70 g) raw peanuts
- ⅓ cup (70 g) blanched almonds
- ¼ cup (50 g) walnuts
- ⅛ (25 g) pepitas
- ⅓ cup (70 g) sesame seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves whole cloves
- 6 berries allspice berries
- 1½ heads garlic
- 3 Tablespoons (20 g) lard
- 1⅔ cup (250 g) white onion
- ¼ cup (50 g) raisins
- 1 Tablespoon Mexican oregano
- ⅓ cup (50 g) dark chocolate
- ⅓ cup (50 gal) milk chocolate
- ½ cup (70 g) brown sugar
- 2¼ cup (540 ml) water
- 3⅓ cup (500 g) turkey breast
- 10 tortillas corn tortilla
- fresh cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
- queso fresco
- Toast pasilla chiles, ancho chiles, and guajillo chiles in a dry, hot frying pan over medium-high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until fragrant and slightly charred. Allow to cool. Remove from pan, discard stems and seeds, and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add peanuts and almonds, and toast for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, toast walnuts for about 3 minutes, or until they start to crackle. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Repeat with the pumpkin and sesame seeds, toasting them together for about 3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Using the same pan again, toast the cinnamon stick, cloves, and allspice for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove from pan.
- Add garlic still in their skins to the hot pan and toast for about 5 minutes, or until blackened. Remove from pan.
- In a separate large pan, warm the lard until melted. Add onion and cook on medium-high heat until starts to brown and soften. Add garlic and raisins. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer onion, garlic, raisins, nuts, seeds, spices, Mexican oregano, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, brown sugar, and chiles to the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid. You’ll be packing a lot of ingredients into the container, which will be filled completely. This is normal.
- Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for 1 minute, using the tamper to push ingredients into the blade. While machine is still running, remove the lid plug and slowly pour 1 cup of the water through the lid plug opening. This is a very tough blend so don’t be afraid to tamp aggressively; the motor will have a loud chugging sound.
- Continue to blend for 3 minutes, adding the remaining 1¼ cups (300ml) water as needed, until you have a smooth sauce that is the consistency of yogurt. Set aside.
- Warm the shredded turkey in a pan over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the mole and mix well. Take off heat. Warm the tortillas. Add turkey-mole mix to each tortilla. Garnish with cilantro, lime, and queso fresco.
|Serving Size||10 tacos|
|Amount Per Servings|