Black Bean Soup [Immersion Blender]
Enjoy this hearty black bean soup, filled with the flavors of andouille sausage, garlic, onion and more.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 12 ounces (350 g) chicken andouille sausage
- 4 cups (550 g) white onion, peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 cups (280 g) carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 cups (240 g) celery stalk, cut into chunks
- 3 small garlic cloves
- 2 cups (225 g) Poblano pepper, cut into chunks
- 4 sprig fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 6 (620 g) roma tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 8 cups (1.9 l) vegetable stock
- 62 ounces (1,755 g) black beans, cooked, drained, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, optional
- Heat a medium stock pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add olive oil and heat. Add chicken sausage, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, chiles, thyme and chili powder. Saute for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Add the stock, tomatoes and black beans and stir to incorporate.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Place the immersion blender into the middle of the stockpot. Submerge the blender below the surface of the liquid, but above the bottom of the pot.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, and increase as desired. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 2 minutes or until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve immediately, or cool in an ice bath and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This is a large batch recipe that serves a group or can be frozen for later enjoyment. It may be scaled in half or quartered if desired.