Blue Crab and Shrimp Chilpachole with Chochoyotas
Use your blender to chop the vegetable base for this seafood soup, and add homemade chochoyotas for wonderful texture.
- 10 cup tomatoes
- 1 cup jalapeño, seeded
- morita cup toasted then hydrated
- 1 cup (100 g) celery, diced
- ½ cup (65 g) medium onion, halved
- 1 cup vegetable oil, optional
- 4 cup (1 ml) shrimp and fish fumet, see Fish Fumet recipe below
- ½ cup (50 g) fresh masa
- 1 cup (25 g) epazote
- 1 cup (455 g) canned blue crabs
- 1 cup (455 g) peeled shrimp, heads and shells reserved
- 20 cup , see Chocohoyotas recipe below
- lime cup for garnish
- chopped cup for garnish
- fresh cup leaves, for garnish
- Place tomatoes, jalapeño, morita, celery, and onion into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Switch machine to start and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 1 minute.
- Place a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and the blended tomato mixture.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes.
- Add the Fumet and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 30 minutes.
- Dissolve the masa in water to form a slurry.
- Bring the soup to a boil and stir in the slurry. Return to a boil.
- Add epazote, crab, and shrimp. Cook until shrimp is just done. Add Chochoyotas and stir to incorporate.
- Serve garnished with lime, onion, and cilantro.