Butternut Squash and Mushroom Ragout [Immersion Blender]
Meat won't be missed with the hearty addition of butternut squash and mushrooms. The squash adds a slight sweetness to this well-rounded tomato sauce, perfect for sharing at the Sunday dinner table.
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large (250 g) yellow onion, peeled, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- ½ large (300 g) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into large chunks
- ½ pound (225 g) mixed mushrooms, cleaned well
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 1 (795 g) 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, optional
- Heat a large sauce pot over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is heated, add the garlic and onion and cook until they become translucent.
- Add the butternut squash, mushrooms, and water to the onion and garlic mixture on the stove top. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add in crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, tomato paste, and salt if desired and stir to incorporate.
- After 35-45 minutes remove the pot from the heat. Insert the immersion blender below the liquid. Select Variable speed 2. Start the immersion blender and carefully move around, up, and down to chop the butternut squash, mushrooms, and onions. Blend until desired consistency.
- Simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite zoodles, spaghetti squash, or pasta.
- This meal is an excellent and tasty way to add more plants to your diet.
- Use the Variable speeds of the immersion blender to achieve your desired consistency. The higher the speed the finer the puree.