Duck Breast with Root Vegetables and Beetroot Puree
- 1 beet cooked, peeled, and cut into 8 pieces
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) salt, optional
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- To begin, make the beetroot puree by adding the cut beets, olive oil, salt, and sugar to the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1, start the machine, and slowly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute. Use a spatula to remove the puree to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (175°C).
- Add the butter to a large ovenproof sauté pan over high heat. Once foaming, add the thyme and garlic. Allow to pop for 5 seconds, then add the cut vegetables. Toss the vegetables with the vinegar in the sauté pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow to sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove to a baking sheet and place in the oven. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, season the duck breast with salt and pepper and sear in an ovenproof sauté pan over medium-low heat. Render the skin until golden-brown and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Flip the duck over, and place in the oven for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until an inserted thermometer reads 125°F (60°C). Remove and let rest 10 minutes before carving.
- While the duck is resting, gently reheat the beet puree.
- To assemble the dish, spoon the puree onto plates, then arrange the vegetables and duck breast on top. Garnish with red vein sorrel and fresh thyme leaves.