Store-bought mayonnaise just can't compare with homemade aioli. Just add roasted garlic (or garlic powder) like in this recipe for an extra dimension of flavor. Serve as a dip with crudités, or as a sauce on tacos.
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or roasted garlic puree
- 1¼ cups (330 ml) light olive oil
- Place yolks, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, and slowly increase to Variable 6. Blend for 15 seconds.
- While the blender is still running, remove lid plug and slowly pour oil through the lid plug opening. As the mixture begins to thicken, the oil may be added at a faster rate. Finish pouring the oil and after blending for another 15 seconds, secure lid plug. Increase speed to Variable 10 and blend for 3 to 5 seconds. Stop the blender.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
The aeration container will help you achieve a much tighter emulsion. This leads to sauces that are very thick and uniform and with room for add-ins without getting soupy. It also creates a substance that holds up well against heat.