Pork Liver Powder
This fine powder adds bold and rich flavor to broths.
- 1 piece (320 g) pork liver
- ½ (40 g) lemon, cut into 3 slices
- ½ (80 g) medium onion, sliced, divided
- 1 piece fresh ginger root
- In a large bowl, place the pork liver, lemon slice, and ½ (40g) of the onion. Cover with room temperature water. Set aside for an hour, changing the water twice during that time.
- Remove ingredients from the liquid and rinse the liver thoroughly. Slice the liver into very thin strips. Place the liver into a saucepan with the remaining onion and ginger and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Strain the liver, onion, and ginger. Place the saucepan back over the heat, add the liver, onion, and ginger and fill with water again.
- Boil for another 2 minutes. Strain again and pat the liver dry with paper towels.
- In a sauté pan, fry the liver strips over low heat until dried (about 45 minutes). Allow it to cool slightly. Add the liver to the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine, and increase to its highest speed. Blend for 20 to 45 seconds, depending on the consistency desired.
- Place the liver powder in a sauté pan and cook over low heat until completely dried. Store the liver powder in the refrigerator for up to a week.