Traditional potato pancake made around Hanukkah. This utilizes the food processor for shredding and the blending container for dry grinding.
- 5 Tablespoon (675 g) small russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon (180 g) medium white onion, peeled, halved
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grapeseed oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 cup (130 g) Vitamix chickpea flour, Vitamix made
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, optional
- Fit the Food Processor Work Bowl with the Large Shred Disc. Secure the lid. Place one potato at a time in the Large Food Chute and secure the Food Pusher. Press start and feed the potatoes through Large Food Chute.
- Once potatoes are shredded, follow the same process for the peeled/halved onion. Once completed, stop the machine and remove the lid and Shredding Disc. Squeeze any excess water from the potato and onion and discard.
- Place shredded potatoes, onion, 1/4 cup grapeseed oil, chickpea flour and salt into a large bowl and gently mix together by hand until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Heat a large (12-14 inch) non-stick pan over medium low heat. Add about 1/3 cup (80ml) of oil to the pan and heat until it shimmers. Place about 1/3 cup portion (80ml/80g) of potato mixture per pancake into the hot pan. Cook pancakes until golden brown (about 4-5 minutes per side.) Remove and serve immediately.
For extra crispy latkes, squeeze all of the water out of your vegetables after shredding them, then add the other ingredients and proceed with the remaining steps.