Sea Trout with Green Herbed Pepian Sauce and Red Pearl Onions
Fresh sea trout is served with a smoky herb sauce of charred onions, tomatillos, and toasted seeds, then garnished with purslane leaves and roasted pearl onions.
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 4 trout fillets, skin on
- 1 dash salt
- lime juice to taste
- green herbed pepian sauce, see recipe
- ½ cup (50 g) purslane leaves
- 8 roasted pearl onions, halved, for garnish
- Place a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and allow oil to get hot.
- Season trout on both sides with salt and lime juice and sear, flesh side down. Cook for two minutes, or until the fish releases from the pan.
- Flip the fish over, and cook 4 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.
- To plate, place Pepian Sauce in the middle of the plate and lay the trout, on top, flesh side up. Garnish with purslane and onions.
- Heat oven to 205°C (400°F). Place pumpkin seeds, peanuts, and sesame seeds on a sheet tray and toast in the oven until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add oil, onion, garlic, and tomatillos. Sweat until tomatillos are very soft.
- Place the cooked tomatillos mixture, toasted seeds, and remaining ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Switch machine to start, slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 1 minute.
- Return sauce to the stove and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Reduce heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
Serve with black beans and tortillas.