Tomato Thyme Jam
This classic jam is simple and has no added sugars. It uses dates for sweetness, and reducing it helps to concentrate the natural pectin in the tomatoes.
- 3 pounds (1.40 kg) roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup (240 ml) apple cider
- 20 (200 g) pitted dates
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced, zested
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, optional
1. 1 Place all ingredients into a medium-sized stock pot. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1½ to 2 hours. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
2. Place the immersion blender into the middle of the cooking pot. Submerge the immersion blender below the surface of the liquid, or as close to the ingredients as possible. Start the blender on its lowest speed, and increase as desired. Move around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for 2 minutes.