Whole Grain Apricot Mustard [Immersion Blender]
Fresh or dried apricots pair well with whole grain mustard, making it easy to create your own condiments free of the additives and fillers in store-bought versions.
- ½ cup (90 g) yellow mustard seed
- ¼ cup (40 g) brown mustard seeds
- 1 cup (240 ml) apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup (120 ml) pale or dark ale beer
- ½ cup (60 ml) honey
- 1 cup (175 g) dried apricots
- kosher salt, optional, to taste
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- Place the yellow and brown mustard seeds, apple cider vinegar, beer, honey and dried apricots into a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Cook for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the vinegar has reduced by about ⅔. Add the water and bring back to a simmer. Once the mixture is at a simmer, remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Place the reduced mixture into the Immersion Chopper (or alternatively into a blending container) and attach the Immersion Blender handle. If using the chopper, chop on highest speed for 30-45 seconds. If using the regular Immersion Blender attachment, blend for 25-30 seconds on its highest speed, or until desired consistency is achieved.
- Add salt if desired and adjust consistency with additional water if needed. Refrigerate overnight.
This recipe is ideally made a day ahead to get the full taste of the mustard seeds. This allows them to bloom and create a great mustard flavor. Try making it your own with extra additions and gifting it as a great holiday item.