This is the perfect recipe for a cool fall day. Substitute pears or peaches for the apples to make this a dish that can be enjoyed throughout many seasons.
- 790 g (5 medium) apples, cored and cut into 8 pieces
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 200 g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 20 g (3 Tablespoons) cornstarch
- 145 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 200 g (1 cup) brown sugar, packed
- (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 90 g (¼ cup) rolled oats
- 113 g (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine the apples, water, vanilla, sugar, and cornstarch in the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 6 and remove the lid plug. Insert the tamper and begin pulsing. Pulse 10-12 times, until the apples are roughly chopped.
- Place the mixture in a sauce pot over medium high heat, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Next, in the Vitamix container, add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, oats and butter. Secure the lid. Remove the lid plug and insert the tamper. Select Variable 6 and pulse 8 times. Remove the lid and scrape the sides.
- Secure the lid, select Variable 6 and pulse 6-8 times, until evenly combined. Spray a 9x9 (23x23cm) baking pan with oil and press half of the oat mixture evenly into the pan, including up the sides.
- Pour the cooled apple mixture into the pan, and then crumble the remaining oat mixture evenly over top. Bake in a 350°F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden brown. Serve warm.