Spaghetti with Roasted Vegetable Sauce
A medley of robust flavor, this sauce is puréed perfection. Enjoy over a bed of pasta and top as desired.
- 900 g (2 pounds) roma tomatoes, halved
- 2 small garlic clove, peeled
- 100 g (1 ) large carrot, end trimmed
- 150 g (1½ cup) cremini mushrooms
- 110 g (1 ) small red onion, peeled, quartered
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Place tomatoes, garlic, carrot, mushrooms and onion on an 11-inch x 17-inch (28 cm x 43 cm) parchment-lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast 20 minutes or until tomatoes are very tender.
Pasta & Sauce
- 340 g (12 ounces) whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked
- 85 g (3 ounces) tomato paste
- 6 g (¼ cup) fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- 6 g (¼ cup) fresh oregano, lightly packed
- Cook pasta as directed on package while vegetables are roasting. Drain well, reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Keep pasta warm.
- Carefully pour contents of the roasting pan into the Vitamix container. Add tomato paste and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from lid plug opening.
- Turn the blender down to the lowest speed. Remove lid plug and add the basil and oregano, and pour in the reserved water. Secure lid plug. Blend for 10-15 seconds until herbs are chopped.
- Serve tomato sauce over pasta and garnish as desired. Serve tomato sauce over pasta and garnish as desired.
This pasta is delicious topped with sliced fresh herbs, like parsley or basil. Try some Grated Parmesan Cheese or crushed red pepper flakes if you prefer.
|Serving Size||446 g (1 serving)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||80 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|