Spicy Kale with Polenta
Crushed red pepper adds a hint of spice and goat cheese mellows out the flavor in this polenta dish.
- 780 ml (3¼ cup) water
- (1 sprig) thyme
- 180 g (1 cup) polenta, uncooked
- (½ teaspoon) salt, optional
- (½ teaspoon) ground black pepper
- (1 large) egg
- 120 g (½ cup) goat cheese
- 30 g (1 ounce) reduced fat cream cheese
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 30 g (¼ cup) medium onion, peeled. diced
- (½ teaspoon) crushed red pepper flakes
- (2 small) garlic clove, peeled
- 225 g (8 ounces) crimini mushrooms
- 60 ml (¼ cup) dry white wine
- 70 g (1 cup) kale, chopped
- (2 Tablespoons) pine nuts, toasted
- Bring 3 cups (720 ml) water and thyme to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add polenta, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until thick, stirring constantly. Discard the thyme sprig.
- Place egg, goat cheese, and cream cheese into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 5.
- Blend for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Add the egg mixture to the polenta, stirring to combine. Remove from heat.
- Coat an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon polenta into the dish, spreading evenly. Keep warm.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Add onion, red pepper flakes, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the wine and cook 2 to 4 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove mushroom mixture from the pan and keep warm.
- Return the pan to medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) water, kale, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Top the polenta with the mushroom mixture, kale and toasted pine nuts.
- Cut into pieces and serve.