Like traditional hummus, this recipe includes chickpeas but also uses cauliflower to add to the creaminess.
- 600 g (6 cups) cauliflower, trimmed florets
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, peeled
- 908 g (2 ) 16 oz. canned chickpeas, 1 can drained, 1 can reserved
- 70 g (½ cup) sesame seeds, or Tahini
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside. Toss cauliflower florets with olive oil, curry powder, and pepper. Spread in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until tender.
- With a peeler or paring knife, remove the peel and white pith from the lemons, leaving just the flesh.
- Place lemons, chickpeas, sesame seeds, garlic, cumin, and roasted cauliflower into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
Lightly toasting your sesame seeds in a pan or on the stovetop before blending is a great way to add extra flavor to your hummus. When possible, try using whole seeds and nuts in your recipe. They add a fresh flavor, and the Vitamix has the power to pulverize them and incorporate them effortlessly into your blend. Try using whole, fresh citrus fruit instead of processed bottle juices. Fresh fruit gives a healthy burst of flavor (and whole food benefits). We recommend using the zest and citrus flesh to balance the flavors of your recipe. For example, adding a whole slice (or half, to start) can balance the sweetness with a touch of bitter. Olive oil is optional in this recipe. When roasting, we add it for a little bit of flavor and to assist in the browning process. The liquid from the chickpeas is called aquafaba. This is a great ingredient that can be whipped into a foam or used to replace the olive oil.
|Serving Size||37 g (1 serving)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|