Fresh Ginger Pound Cake
A pleasantly spicy cake, perfect with a cup of tea.
- 360 g (2¼ cup) whole wheat flour
- (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- (¾ teaspoon) salt
- 120 ml (½ cup) plain yogurt
- 60 ml (¼ cup) milk, or Milk alternative
- (3 large) eggs, or egg substitute
- 170 g (¾ cup) light butter spread
- 200 g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- (1 strip) lemon peel
- (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- (1½ teaspoon) fresh ginger root
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly coat a 9-inch x 5-inch (23cm x 13cm) loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place remaining ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 45 seconds.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix by hand until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Use 2 cups (400 g) of wheat berries in place of whole wheat flour. Grind berries into flour using a Vitamix Dry blade container for 1 minute on High prior to using in recipe.