Broccoli Pasta Sauce
This simple sauce brings amazing flavor and plenty of health benefits to any rice, grain, or pasta dish.
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (150 g) yellow onion, peeled, cut into chunks
- ½ cup (70 g) raw pine nuts
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable stock
- 3 cups (215 g) broccoli florets
- ½ lemon, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place a medium large sauce pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the olive oil and allow to heat. Add the onion and saute for 5-6 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add pine nuts and saute for an additional 3-4 minutes until pine nuts are lightly toasted. Add broccoli and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable stock, lemon and pepper flake. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the immersion blender into the middle of the stockpot. Submerge the blender below the surface of the liquid, but above the bottom of the pot.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 1 minute or until desired consistency is achieved.
For an additional pop of flavor, try adding in 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese to this sauce after simmering and blend it in.