Butternut Squash and Apple Bisque
A seasonal soup that is great any time of the year. Serve hot in the colder months, or cold during the summer. Add some fresh chives and a dollop of crème fraîche for a garnish that will wow your guests.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil, optional
- 4 small garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- 2 medium (275 g) white onion, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 2 pounds (908 g) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 3 medium (360 g) Honeycrisp Apples, or other seasonal apples, seeded, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 8 sage leaves
- 8 cups (1.4 l) vegetable stock
- Heat a medium stock pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add olive oil and heat. Add onion, garlic, squash, apples, salt, cinnamon and sage. Saute for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Add the stock and stir to incorporate.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 1½ hours.
- Place the immersion blender into the middle of the stockpot. Submerge the blender below the surface of the liquid, but above the bottom of the pot.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, and increase as desired. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 1-2 minutes or until desired consistency is achieved. Serve immediately, or cool in an ice bath and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.