Apple Hand Pies
Hand pies are a down-home staple in many families. Use these whole food fillings to give an all natural dessert to your family.
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- ½ cup (275 g) roasted apples, about 6-7 apples
- 7 (100 g) dates, pitted
- 1 orange, zested, peeled
- 1 (900 g) Whole Wheat Pastry Dough
- ¼ cup (60 ml) flax egg
- Place water, apples, dates, cinnamon, orange, and orange zest into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Run the Smoothie Program or start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 40–50 seconds, using the tamper to push ingredients toward the blades. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the hand pies.
- To make the hand pies:
Roll out whole wheat pastry dough to 1/8" thick on floured surface. Cut into 4" x 2" rectangles, reusing the scraps to roll out more rectangles.
- Brush the top of two rectangles with flax egg and place 3–4 Tablespoons of pie filling in the middle of one, leaving a 1/2" edge on all sides. Place the other rectangle on top of the filling with the edges touching. Crimp the edges with the tines of a fork, and carefully put 2–3 air vent slits on the top part of the dough. Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling.
- Brush the hand pies with flax egg. Place in preheated oven and bake for 35–45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool before eating.
- Additional filling:
1 cup (240ml) water
2 1/2 cups (375g) roasted pumpkin
1/2 cup (85g) golden raisins
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- In this recipe, the fruit lends its own natural sweetness, so there's no need for any added sugar. Using flax as an egg alternative along with a plant based butter, these hand pies are also an excellent vegan dessert!