This baked version of falafel creates a healthier snack or meal perfect for your enjoyment.
- ½ (80 g) small red onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup (23 g) fresh parsley leaves, washed, dried well
- 1¼ cup (35 g) fresh cilantro leaves, washed, dried well
- 3 cups (550 g) canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- ⅓ cup (40 g) chickpea flour
- 1 large egg, or ¼ cup chickpea liquid
- ¼ cup (60 g) tahini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- vegetable Tablespoon as needed
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place lightly oiled pan or sheet tray in oven for 15 minutes while you complete the recipe.
- Place onion, garlic, parsley and cilantro in the Food Processor Work Bowl fitted with the Multi-Use Blade and secure the lid. Pulse 6-8 times to chop uniformly. Place remaining ingredients, except vegetable oil, into the Food Processor Work Bowl on top of the chopped herb mixture.
- Start the machine and allow to process for 30 seconds, or set timer for 30 seconds and allow machine to complete programmed cycle.
- Once Food Processor has completely stopped, remove the lid and scrape down the sides of the Food Processing Work Bowl. Secure the lid. Start the machine and allow to process for additional 30 seconds.
- Scoop the falafel dough onto warm prepared sheet tray in 2.75 oz. scoops, about 1/3 cup scoops per ball. (an ice cream scoop can help tremendously with this.) Once all have been scooped, flatten slightly and place into preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven, and flip each gently. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Serve in pita bread with desired condiments.
Make sure tahini is thoroughly mixed in jar before using to incorporate oil back into the paste. To make vegetarian/vegan substitute liquid from drained chickpea for the egg.