Blue Crab and Shrimp Chilpachole with Chochoyotas
Use your blender to chop the vegetable base for this seafood soup, and add homemade chochoyotas for wonderful texture.
Blue Crab and Shrimp Chilpachole
- 5 other tomatoes
- 1 green jalapeño, seeded
- morita chile, toasted then hydrated
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ onion, peeled, diced
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups (1 l) shrimp and fish fumet, see Fish Fumet recipe below
- ½ cup (50 g) fresh masa
- 1 ounce (25 g) epazote
- 1 pound (455 g) canned blue crabs
- 1 pound (455 g) peeled shrimp, heads and shells reserved
- 20 chochoyotas , see Chocohoyotas recipe below
- lime wedges, for garnish
- chopped onion, for garnish
- fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Place tomatoes, jalapeño, morita, celery, and onion into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Switch machine to start and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 1 minute.
- Place a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and the blended tomato mixture.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes.
- Add the Fumet and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 30 minutes.
- Dissolve the masa in water to form a slurry.
- Bring the soup to a boil and stir in the slurry. Return to a boil.
- Add epazote, crab, and shrimp. Cook until shrimp is just done. Add Chochoyotas and stir to incorporate.
- Serve garnished with lime, onion, and cilantro.
- 1½ cup (155 g) fresh masa
- Form masa into small (10 g) balls, making an indent into each ball (similar to a gnocchi).
- Poach in salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and reserve for soup.
Shrimp and Fish Fumet
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, halved
- 1 (70 g) onion, peeled, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ pound (200 g) shrimp shells
- 3¼ pound (1½ kg) fish bones, rinsed
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 1 cup (240 ml) white wine
- 12½ cup (3 l) water
- Place a large stock pot over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, and celery and cook until slightly caramelized.
- Add shrimp shells, fish bones, and tomatoes, and sweat for 15 minutes.
- Add parsley and white wine. Continue cooking until the mixture is reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain the mixture and cool.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|