100 Ways to Start Your Whole Story | Browse hand-picked recipes, tips, challenges, and more! Start Your Whole Story
Broccoli Pasta Sauce
This simple sauce brings amazing flavor and plenty of health benefits to any rice, grain, or pasta dish.
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (160 g) yellow onion, peeled, cut into chunks
- ½ cup (70 g) raw pine nuts
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable stock
- 3 cups (215 g) broccoli florets
- ½ lemon, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, optional
- Place a medium large sauce pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the olive oil and allow to heat. Add the onion and saute for 5-6 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add pine nuts and saute for an additional 3-4 minutes until pine nuts are lightly toasted. Add broccoli and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable stock, lemon and pepper flake. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the immersion blender into the middle of the stockpot. Submerge the blender below the surface of the liquid, but above the bottom of the pot.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 1 minute or until desired consistency is achieved.
For an additional pop of flavor, try adding in 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese to this sauce after simmering and blend it in.
|Serving Size||1 serving (139 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|