Carrot Cannellini Bean Soup
A flavorful winter warmer, carrots meld with cannellini beans to make for a filling, healthy, nutrient-dense soup that's sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large (350 g) leek, washed well, cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounce (250 g) cannellini beans, drained
- 3 medium (210 g) carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ teaspoon curry powder, optional
- 1 quart (960 ml) vegetable broth, or water
- Heat the oil in a large saucepot set over medium heat. Add the leeks, sweating for 10 minutes until softened, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the cannellini beans, carrots, garlic, and curry powder. Cook for 3-4 minutes until aromatic, then add your cooking liquid and bring to a boil.
- Reduce mixture to a low simmer and allow to cook for 30 minutes, tasting and adjusting seasoning if necessary.
- Submerge the immersion blender below the surface of the liquid, or as close to the ingredients as possible.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 60 seconds. Serve with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper, if desired.
Carrot-based soups in the fall are hearty and filling - try adding your own spin on this recipe with other spices such as cinnamon, ginger, or nutmeg