Dry Brined Turkey
Dry brining not only imparts great flavor, it tenderizes and adds moisture, too. It also happens to be the simplest method of brining, leaving your guests to beg for the recipe!
- 1 plus 2 sprigs fresh thyme Tablespoons fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 leaves plus 2 sprigs fresh sage, divided use fresh sage
- 1 plus 3 sprigs fresh rosemary Tablespoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ Tablespoon (15 g) salt
- 1 Tablespoon (15 g) brown sugar
- 2 cloves plus 1 head garlic
- 2 lemons lemon
- 8-10 pounds (3.6-4.5 kg) turkey
- ½ cup (113 g) butter
- 1 Onion onion
- 4 cups cups (960 ml) turkey broth
- Place 1 Tablespoon of the thyme, the 6 sage leaves, 1 Tablespoon of the rosemary, pepper, salt, brown sugar, 2 cloves of the garlic, and lemon zest into your Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select the lowest setting. Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for 10 seconds. Stop the machine.
- Remove turkey from packaging, as well as the innards (set aside for later use), and pat dry with paper towels.
- Separate the skin from the breast of the turkey by gently pushing your hands under each side, being careful not to rip the skin. Carefully work 2 Tablespoons of the dry rub under the skin of each breast. The remaining rub should be applied onto the skin of the legs and wings.
- Allow to sit uncovered for at least 10 hours in the refrigerator.
- Once turkey is brined, preheat oven to 325°F (160°F).
- Rinse turkey and pat dry with towels. Rub the skin with butter. Stuff the cavity with the remaining head of garlic, onion, and remaining 2 sprigs of thyme, 2 sprigs of sage, and 3 sprigs of rosemary.
- Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan. Add 2 cups of the stock and the innards to the pan. Roast in the oven for 1½ hours, basting with drippings every 35 to 40 minutes.
- Add the remaining stock to the pan. Roast for another 2½ to 3 hours, or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 165°F (73°C).
- Strain and reserve the pan drippings for gravy.
|Serving Size||8 ounces (399 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|